Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Lesson 12: I am Thankful for Animals

Please see my page on Sunbeams for an overview of my teaching system.

Looking on Sugardoodle... there are so many fabulous ideas!

I do love the idea of Animal Bubbles! It's a very cute and interactive way of reinforcing what children know/learn about animals.

I also loved Carrie Gribbon's idea of using the dissolving capsules with foam animals in them.  I'm sure the kids would love it!  And it offers another opportunity for children to identify animals.

The idea of burning animals sounds on a CD is also great!  But if you don't have the time/resources for making a CD, there are also a number of Animal Sounds Bingo type games out there that would work.  One I know is Listening Lotto.  These games would be great reinforcers, build problem solving skills, and would be very engaging for the kids.

I like the craft by Sunday Savers, but I like one from the Friend even better that I found on Sugardoodle!  That is the one I will be using.  I will be using the black and white coloring page from Sunday Savers, though.

The ideas on Chicken Scratch n Sniff are also good!  I just love how many wonderful resources are mentioned on Sugardoodle.


Here's what I'm going to do.

As with the past few weeks, we will start the lesson off with the Creation storybook by the Barefoot Teacher found on Teachers Pay Teachers ($1.75), that I introduced in Lesson 8.  I printed out the pages, but didn't bind them in any way.  This way I could pull out the focus page(s) when the story was done and place them on the board.  We will repeat this each week for the Creation lessons until we've completed all of the pages.  Reading the same story each week will create a concrete connection between the lessons and help the children better grasp the process of the Creation.

For the activity selection, I have taken a wooden animal puzzle and have written the activities on stickers affixed to the underside of each animal in the puzzle.  As there are more animals in the puzzle (9) than there are activities, not all of the animals have an activity listed.  I will let the children pick animals until they have found one showing an activity.

(NOTE TO SELF:  Reorganize this section according to manual.  I sincerely apologize.  Things have gotten very busy, and I have fallen behind on this blog.  I am now trying to catch back up, but some of these posts will likely not be complete for awhile.)

  • Noah's Ark - I have a cloth activity set to go along with story that I will use.  For follow-up (or a separate activity), the printout from the Friend.
  • Where do I live? - from Teachers Pay Teachers
  • Animal Noises - book I've made, matching animals to the noises they make (I will post this when I get a chance)
  • Pretending - name an animal, or let children name an animal, and everyone pretends to be the animal
  • Song "Old MacDonald"
  • How do animals help us? - from Etsy

Story - Brown Bear, Brown Bear

 

Black and white poster from Sunday Savers.


Due to ward conference... we had a very short class time.  We didn't get to a couple of the activities (Where do I live? and Pretending).



No comments:

Post a Comment